Foods You Shouldn’t Feed to Your Pet

Our pets are often part of the family, and we like to make them happy by offering them the same food we eat. However, pets are not humans, and their metabolism is very different to ours.

What’s just fine for us to eat can be toxic and even deadly to your pet, so you need to be aware of the foods you should never feed them. It’s also important to look at the ingredients as they differ from product to product. Therefore, one type of food might be fine to give to your pet while another contains something toxic like artificial sweeteners.

To keep your pets safe, read our list of seven things you shouldn’t feed your pet.

 

Chocolate

Chocolate is toxic to cats and dogs because it contains theobromine, an ingredient in cocoa that can cause seizures, internal bleeding, and even heart failure in large quantities. Many dogs and cats love sweet things, so be sure to keep the chocolate out of reach.

 

Grapes

Not all fruit is good for everyone. Grapes, sultanas, currants, raisins and any other dried grape product are highly toxic to dogs. Just a few grapes can cause kidney failure and even death in a small dog.

 

Avocado

Delicious, creamy avocado is best kept for the humans in your family. Avocado contains persin which is toxic to many animals, and it can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs.

 

Cooked Bones

Many people don’t think twice about giving cooked bones to their dogs and cats, but they can be fatal. Small cooked bones, especially chicken and other poultry bones, can splinter more easily and cause punctures in the animal’s digestive tract. Larger, raw bones are safe for dogs as long as they don’t have small, sharp pieces.

 

Xylitol

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in sugar-free chewing gum and lollies, and they can sometimes be found in other products such as peanut butter and baked goods. It’s important to check the ingredients list on any processed food you give your pet, as xylitol is toxic to pets and can cause seizures and vomiting.

 

Milk

Many cats and dogs are lactose intolerant, and milk and dairy products can cause bloating, gastric distress, diarrhoea and other problems. Small amounts of cheese can often be given and are well-tolerated. If you’re unsure, start off with just a tiny amount and see how your pet handles it.

 

Onions and Garlic

Onions and garlic can cause damage to the red blood cells and, eventually, anaemia in pets. Both raw and cooked onions pose a threat, but your pet is unlikely to eat them alone; it’s when they’re hidden in other things like stews and soups that you have to be careful of.

 

Vet Clinic Port Kennedy

Your pet’s health and comfort are our top priority, so if your pet accidentally eats something they shouldn’t, bring them in to the vet clinic at Port Kennedy Vets for treatment.

Call 08 9524 6644 or contact us online for any enquiries or health concerns regarding your pet. Our wellness programs make pet care easier, and with affordable monthly payments, they’re an investment in the health and wellbeing of your beloved pet.