Vet Advice & Consultation
Whether you have a kitten, puppy, cat, dog or a rabbit, Port Kennedy Veterinary Hospital can help. Our team of friendly and professional vets is here to make you and your pet feel at ease and to make sure they receive the best possible health care. You can ask us all your pet-related questions
What Happens at a Vet Consultation?
At a consultation, our vets will take a history of your pet, conduct a thorough physical examination, and discuss any of your current concerns with you as well as any other issues we identify.
As well as general check-ups, we can also provide behavioural consultations. At a behavioural consultation, our vets can also discuss your pet’s behaviour like anxiety issues.
During a physical exam, our vets will usually check the following:
- Coat and skin health: this is a great indicator to examine diet and other health factors. The coat should be shiny, not brittle and coarse, and the skin should be clean and not greasy and flaky.
- Ears – to check for infection
- Heart and lungs – to check respiration
- Abdomen – to check the bladder, liver and spleen
- Oral hygiene – your pet’s mouth can harbour infected gums, loose teeth, objects stuck between the teeth, tumours and all sorts of other surprises.
Annual Pet Health Check
It is important to bring your pet for an annual health check. This helps our veterinarians to diagnose, treat or even prevent problems before they become life-threatening. At an annual health screening for dogs and cats, our vets will check and/or discuss:
- Parasite checks
- Heart checks
- Dental health
- Blood tests
- Weight checks
Continuity of Pet Care
Continuity of care is important to us, which is why whenever possible, your follow-up visits will be scheduled with the same veterinarian. At Port Kennedy Veterinary Hospital, we also offer wellness packages designed for puppies, kittens, dogs and cats. Our wellness packages include more affordable pet care and are designed to make pet care easier for you and for your pet.
To book a consultation with one of our veterinary surgeons or to have any of your pet-related questions answered, contact us today on 08 9524 6644.